A selection of questions I asked myself about community;
- Is community intrinsically good, or can you have ‘bad’ community?
- Is there a difference between the local community, the global community, and community?
- Does it have to be hard?
- What the heck does it even mean?
- What does wikipedia say?
Insightful answers I came up with;
Nothing. And I’m frustrated. Bleurgh.
- Anywhere you have people, you have complexity and flaws. You also have creativity and energy, and potentiality.
- Some people are easy to like, easy to get along with, easy to live with, easy to love. Some people are hard. Both kinds of relationships seem to be important.
- I’m going to think of community as a journey rather than a destination. It’s the fact that as we pursue the ultimate of relationships that are completely restored to perfection, we travel with others. And each moment of truly good, deep, life-giving connection is a signpost of what is to come. While hurts and misunderstandings and words spoken in anger remind me that we’re not there yet.
- To be honest, Jesus probably wouldn’t be too worried about defining the word community. I think he kind of summed up relationships in his “two most important commandments” speech. Love God – with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. And love your neighbour as you love yourself. So in this community thing we can’t lose sight of ourselves and we can’t lose sight of others. And at the very center – everything about our relationships has to flow from being totally in awe and in love with God.
O God of the Universe,
Great in power and rich in love.
Bring your kingdom here on earth
Just as it is in heaven.
Bring it in the beauty of friendships
Bring it in the smile of strangers
Bring it in the warmth of family
Bring it in the touch of understanding
Bring it in the joy of loved ones
Bring it in the cry of the unlovely
Open my eyes and my heart
So that every person I meet is
Another opportunity to
Love you and to love them and to
Love me and to be
Ever more whole.
Because you are the author of